The NeFCA Dissertation Award aims to acknowledge excellent dissertations in the field of Communication Sciences and wants to recognize the quality of doctoral research in the Netherlands and Flanders.
The NeFCA Dissertation Award 2021 will be awarded to the best dissertation defended in 2021.
The dissertation must have been successfully defended between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021, at one of the Departments of Communication Sciences at universities in the Netherlands and Flanders that are members of NeFCA.
Each staff member or Ph.D. student can nominate only one dissertation. Anonymous nominations will not be considered. Self-nominations are strongly invited (this includes nominees currently employed elsewhere). All nominations will be handled confidentially.
A nomination package consists of (in English):
- Full reference of the doctoral dissertation (i.e., name of author, title of dissertation, where the dissertation was successfully defended, defense date, names of promoters and co-promoters);
- A digital copy of the doctoral dissertation (in pdf-format);
- A motivation of the nomination that addresses the quality of the dissertation in terms of theoretical advances, design, methodology etc. (max. 1 page);
There is a peer-jury for this award, organized by NeFCA’s Young Scholars Network, consisting of volunteering PhD students. The jury is autonomous in its selection criteria as well as its decision. The composition of the jury changes annually.
The chairs of the peer-jury of the NeFCA dissertation award 2021 are Estefanya Vazquez and Barbara Behre (Ghent University). The members of the jury are:
- Barbara Behre (Ghent University) – chair
- Estefanya Vazquez-Casaubon (Ghent University) – co-chair
- Zhen Ye (Eramus University Rotterdam)
- Joël Hendrix (University Nijmegen)
- Divyaa Balaji (University of Amsterdam)
- Kim Tenfelde (Tilburg University)
Submission and questions
Nominations should be sent to Estefanya Vazquez, EstefanyaCharlotte.VazquezCasaubon@UGent.be, and Barbara Behre, Barbara.Behre@UGent.be, no later than Monday 28 November 2022.
Any questions about the award or the nomination process should be directed to NeFCA’s President prof. Karolien Poels, email@example.com.
The NeFCA Dissertation Award 2021 will be presented at the Etmaal van de Communicatiewetenschap at Twente University (2&3 February 2023).