Vacancy: Lecturers in Corporate Communication
Are you passionate about teaching, interested in the relation between media and organizational issues, and looking for a challenging job in a dynamic setting? Due to the world-wide popularity of our teaching program, the Department of Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam is looking for several lecturers (D3) in Corporate Communication for all aspects of our program, including methods courses.
The Corporate Communication Group is one of the four program groups in the Department of Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam. The Corporate Communication Group focuses on the strategic communication of organisations in the issue arenas of today’s (digital) society and the consequences thereof for employees, other sociopolitical and economic actors (like politicians and journalists), and the general public. Important themes within the teaching of the program group include: legitimacy and visibility of public and private organisations, corporate social responsibility (CSR), AI and other digital innovations within organisations, diversity, sustainability, and mediatisation.
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the largest departments at the University of Amsterdam with an outstanding international reputation. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The teaching in our Communication Science program is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. If you find this appealing, this may be the position for you.
What are you going to do?
- teach modules in the standing program of the Bachelor and Master of Communication Science in Dutch and/or English with a focus on Corporate Communication. The Master program is taught in English only. The Bachelor program has both a Dutch and an English track;
- supervise and evaluate Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- provide/organize teaching in College and/or Graduate School, including substantive theoretical coursework related to Corporate Communication.
What do we require?
This is a teaching-only position, in which lecturers spend all their time on teaching and teaching-related tasks. The lecturer will be part of the Corporate Communication program group.
As an ideal candidate, you:
- have a PhD in Communication Science or a related discipline such as Organization Science, Public Administration, Organizational Psychology, Social Psychology, Journalism Studies, Management Science, or Sociology;
- have broad teaching experience;
- have or are willing to obtain a teaching certificate (BKO);
- have an excellent command of spoken and written English, and preferably Dutch;
- have preferably experience with and knowledge of (a variety of) quantitative research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science;
- are capable of providing a stimulating teaching environment and are a good team worker.
PhD candidates in their final phase are explicitly encouraged to apply.
The position concerns an appointment of 24-38 hours per week (dependent on your preference). The lecturer position is scale 11 as per the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3,821 and a maximum salary of €5,230 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week. The position is temporary for three years (2+1), though tenure is possible pending track record and finances. The starting date is preferably 15 August 2022.
We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme, 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. The UvA offers excellent opportunities for professional development and education.
What else do we offer?
- a position in which initiative and input are highly valued;
- an enthusiastic and warm program group and department that is open to new colleagues;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
19 April 2022
For more information and applications, see https://vacatures.uva.nl/UvA/job/Lecturers-in-Corporate-Communication/744193202/
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact: Prof. dr. Christian Burgers, Program Group Leader of the Corporate Communication group, firstname.lastname@example.org